Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thirty Days of Prayer

I was reading a chapter in my latest "Chicken Soup for the Soul" book yesterday when I came across the story who told of her pastor telling his congregation, "If you want to see results in prayer, pray for thirty days without ceasing." I stopped reading as I took that in.

I must admit that when I thought about it, there's really only one thing that I have ever really given concentrated prayer to and that was Kyle Sherrill. His story alone should have been proof enough what can happen if you stay consistent in your prayers about something. I can't think of another instance where I've ever been THAT consistent over something in prayer and it saddens me and embarrasses me at the same time.

That's not to say, I don't pray. When I tell someone I'm praying for them, I mean it and I do it. I lift them up. Along with all of the other things I lift up and I do that for several things and several people daily. It's focusing on ONE THING for an extended period of time that I have trouble with (my "prayer A.D.D." kicks in).

As I read this sentence in my book my thoughts immediately went to my dream of meeting Patrick Dempsey (read my story on the right to find out more). Yes, I pray daily about it, and that the efforts I have made to try and get my story to him will somehow pay off, but I must admit to slacking off because I've grown frustrated by the lack of progress. I pray about it, I lift it up, but I can't say I've really given it any concentrated prayer effort in awhile. And I thought, "I wonder what would happen if I devoted some time in my day to specifically pray for that particular thing to come to pass!"

So, starting Monday, March 16th, I am committing myself to praying in a concentrated effort for thirty days, that progress WILL be made in my desire to meet and thank Patrick Dempsey personally. I am praying that God will line things up, that he will put the right people in my path, and that HE will make this happen. Somehow, some way.

It's a big dream that will only happen because God makes it happen and anything is possible, if we believe.

I would be very appreciative if you would join me in praying about this for thirty days with me. I believe that one person's prayers are heard, but how much more awesome would it be to know I had friends joining me for thirty days in prayer believing for this to happen.

I'm going to need encouragement, I'm going to need accountability, I'm going to need people that will believe for me when I get frustrated. I'm going to need your help!

Will you join me in this effort to pray for this dream of mine to come true? Please leave a comment if you'll be praying with me.

Thirty days. I can't wait to see what God is going to do!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Count me in, Nat! I'll be here praying for you and for someone to lean on. Always here!

Unknown said...

Of course I'm in too! Love you!
Julie