Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Good Day For Cooking...

I'm in a blogging mood today (as if you couldn't tell by the two blogs in one day...) The weather outside makes it a great day for cooking, or at least sticking a batch of cookies in the oven! Anyone that knows me knows I don't cook!

However, cooking is what we did at my house this past weekend. My mom, Kimberly, Alexis, Austin, and I had a cooking day all day Saturday and got ALL of our baked goodies done and ready for Thanksgiving! And baked extra for Christmas as well!

My job was, and always has been to break up the pecans for the various recipes. Sounds simple enough, but when cups of pecans are being used almost as fast as you can break them up, it's quite a challenge...And I don't even LIKE pecans!

At one point early in the day, my mom took Austin with her to the store, Alexis had gone somewhere with my dad and it was just Kimberly and myself....So, what do we do? Crank out the Christmas music of course! Kimberly fished out my all time favorite Christmas album (Celine Dion's "These Are The Special Times") and we put it in the cd player in the kitchen and cranked up the volume....Hey, ya gotta hear it over the mixer! I'm sure our neighbors appreciated that...Did I mention our kitchen window was open?! Yep! Get the two of us together for a bit, and there's no tellin' what'll happen Fun times!

One moment that has stuck with me since is a moment that happened just as we were finishing up for the day. We still had the music cranked up (only now it was turned to the local radio station) and "Elvira" by The Oak Ridge Boys came on. We LOOOVE that song! Alexis especially gets into it and if you've ever heard my dad chime in, you know why it makes us laugh!

So, as the song played, we ALL go into it and started dancing around the kitchen! My mom and Lexi doing spins together, Austin squealing and laughing doing his own version of dancing until he eventually got my mom to pick him up and he was able to join her and Lexi...My sister and I were singing and clapping, and my dad joined in from out in the garage where he could hear the music from our kitchen window and that alone left us laughing hysterically!

It was so much fun! We were tired, we were full, and we were sure we would probably go into a sugar coma that night, but wow....What memories!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Sat with you and mom and my kidos, it was a blast. Now we need that one more sat evening for cheese logs baby!!! I can't wait!!! Love ya shrimp!