It's been one of those weeks where I've just felt like a horrible Aunt. I had to be really stern with both Alexis and Austin on different occasions this week. Just for simply not paying attention and doing what they were told. Each incident happened on different days and while everyone seemed back on good terms with each other, at the end of each day I would beat myself up saying I was too hard on them and should have handled it differently. I questioned whether or not they knew how much I adored them or if I would be thought of from here on out as a "mean Aunt..."
Last night, I was (over)thinking things that went on this week, when Rod Stewart's "Have I Told You Lately...." came on the radio. That was all it took for me to end up in tears. I prayed for God to ease my heart, and for Alexis and Austin to know how much I loved them.
This morning, I was getting dressed for work, when Alexis bursts through my bedroom door and made a beeline for me with a hug that nearly knocked me over...My heart soared! Austin wasn't far behind with a hug so tight it took my breath away! Each acting as if I'd never said a harsh word to them.
We giggled and laughed until eventually, both "helped" me finish getting dressed offering various opinions on my hair (which, at the time, was in DESPERATE need of a cut. Thankfully, that happened this afternoon). Then we headed to the living room where Alexis crawled in my lap the two of us watched as Austin attempted to juggle.
God's mercies are new every morning and that was never more evident than in the hugs of the two most precious people in my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment