Here is an update about my day as a volunteer at my church.
It went pretty well. I arrived at the office about 9 this morning. My first obstacle was the office they put me in...Very tiny and the way it was arranged made it VERY difficult to get around to the other side to sit down. I didn't realize I couldn't make it until I was just about stuck between the file cabinet and the desk.
I have to stop here and explain something before I continue: My mom and I have always talked about how God always seems to send an angel for me just as I need one. Every day of college there always seemed to be someone there to open the door just when I needed it, or someone always seemed to be in the office just as the elevator seemed to quick working to call for maintenance. We have no doubt that those people were angels put there at just the right time to help out....No question about it, I have angels watching over me.
Well, this morning, as I was stuck (literally) telling the pastor's secretary who was watching that I was fine, and that I was going to try and back up and try another approach (all the while praying and wondering WHAT that approach was going to be) my angel showed up. Jackie Ward was my angel today and many of you reading this know who that is. There are very few people that I respect as much as I do Jackie Ward. I've known her my entire life, gone to church camps with her for several summers growing up, my sister baby sat her kids for years. There's nobody like her. And she knows me well. My disability doesn't freak her out, in fact she's probably one of the few really understands that it doesn't define me, but doesn't treat it as the elephant in the room either.
So when Jackie "just happened" to show up at that moment, I said a silent thank you to God and in no time, Jackie and I had me unstuck and settled at my desk. She then set about the reasons as to why she was there talking to Donna (Pastor's secretary) and Ramona (the receptionist) who had both gathered at the door to watch Jackie and I do our untangle me tango. Once Jackie was gone, Donna gave me instructions on how to use the phone...transfer calls, hold calls, etc. Then Ramona came in with the programs for Sunday's morning service and the inserts that go in them. I then set to work putting inserts into all the programs. Once that was done, I was asked to use the cutting board and cut another set over inserts that were to go in the Sunday School boxes. After all of that was done it was 11:30 and Ramona said I could go to lunch if I was ready.
I called Mom and she came and got me after she picked up Alexis. We grabbed me lunch at Wendy's and ate it in the car.
I returned an hour later, but instead of going back into the office where I had been that morning, Ramona and I went upstairs and took the inserts I had done earlier to each of their designated Sunday School boxes. Ramona then showed me where all of the paper used for the programs and such was kept in case I ever needed to know. Then we headed back downstairs where we went back to the office, got the programs I had stuffed and took them down to the hallway outside the sanctuary and set them up ready for the ushers hand out as people came in Sunday morning.
On our way back to the office we heard someone playing the piano in the chapel. It was dark, but the alter was lit up and the music was beautiful. Come to find out, it was one of the people staying at the missionary house. I didn't know him, but Ramona did and introduced me. He plays the piano beautifully and he and Romona sang Amazing Grace together for me right there as I stood and listened....That had to be the highlight of the day....It was incredible to stand in the darkened chapel with only the light from the alter, with him playing the piano and them singing...Just...Wow.
After we left him playing more music, we walked back to the office and Ramona left for lunch. Which meant I sat at her desk, answered the phone (I had been told that if she was there, she would answer the phone and the only reason I would need to is if she were out) and buzz people in (our church door is locked during the week and you have to ring the bell outside to be let in).
All of this was new to me...I had NO experience with the phones. I did okay but did accidentally hang up on two people that called because I didn't transfer them correctly (I cringe just thinking about it) and only had to buzz one person in and did that with no problem. It being Friday though, things were very quiet and the phone didn't ring a lot...Thankfully. I kinda felt out of my element while Ramona was out so I was relieved when she returned and I could hand the majority of control back to her. After she got back she told me she just had a few more things to do and that I was free to go whenever I wanted.
So, by 2:45 I was being picked up and my first official day as a volunteer was over. And it looks as though I'll be returning every Friday for awhile.
It was an okay day. Ramona was a HUGE help showing me the ropes and I'm so thankful for her patience. Everyone assures me I'll get the hang of the phones and I was even told that the office I was put in that morning was going to have the desk turned around for easier access for me and the rest of the other volunteers. So, we shall see what next Friday holds!
Thank you ALL so much for your kind comments, but most of all your prayers. They mean so much. If you wouldn't mind continuing to pray, I'd really appreciate it. Lots going on that I don't care to discuss tonight but will use this blog as an outlet for later when I'm not so tired.
And believe it or not, I actually have thoughts on last nights Grey's Anatomy that I will try and share at some point this weekend. Been awhile since I put up a GA Thoughts blog.
So stay tuned...Entries about Grey's and other stuff NOT Grey's related coming.....Soonish.
No comments:
Post a Comment