Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Dempsey Difference-Four Years!

Hard to believe it's been four years since the Dempsey Difference (see the tab above). In SO many ways, I'm a different person and yet, in many ways, I'm exactly the same.

I'm MUCH more aware of how my words and actions (good and bad) can affect others, and I live with a deeper level of thankfulness that I really don't think I had back then.

However, I still struggle with those same doubts, those same insecurities, that I dealt with four years ago. Only, I have something that I didn't have UNTIL four years ago. A point of reference. I have someone, with a similar story, who was where I was that I can refer to anytime those doubts and insecurities get too loud. I can look at him, be reminded of his story, be reminded that I'm not alone, and suddenly, the loudness of everything else fades. THAT'S what Patrick Dempsey did for me four years ago, and has done for me every single day since.

I debated whether or not to even post about it tonight, because while September 29th is a day that will always have significance to me, I've struggled a lot with the fact that people really don't seem to care. They don't seem to get it. All along I kept telling myself that what I went through in college, MUST have been meant to serve a purpose. I told myself when I came out of it on the other side that this story would help someone else some day. I don't know if that's the case, but I pray it is.

I know there are those that stopped reading this entry the minute they saw the word "Dempsey" in the title, because they think I'm just some fan girl, just another fan who's crazy about Patrick Dempsey.

I'm slowly coming to realize that it doesn't matter who "gets it" or doesn't, it doesn't matter if people believe me or they don't. What other people think doesn't make what Patrick did for me any less real. Whether people believe it or not doesn't change the truth of what is now my story. It doesn't change the fact that without Patrick Dempsey, I would be a statistic right now.

Four years ago today Patrick Dempsey saved my life. He was the answer to my prayer. He was my reminder that God had not forgotten about me. Patrick Dempsey is my hero and there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for him.

I still pray daily that the day will come when I'll be able to thank Patrick face to face, but until that day comes (and even after that day is done) I'll continue to pray that my story might help someone else.

1 comment:

Katy {and Kahler} said...

I didn't stop reading! :) I'm glad you chose to write about your story, even when you doubted people would want to read it. It's your blog. Your place to show the world who you are. If you left out this major detail, it wouldn't be you.

And i sure do love YOU! :)