I tried to come up with a catchier title, but sometimes you just have to be blunt. Let me just cut to the chase.
My passion is television. If you've read this blog at all, you know I love it and could talk about it for hours on end. I'd LOVE to have a career doing something within the industry. To be able to get paid doing something I totally LOVE would be awesome! I don't really think acting is my thing...Even though I was in plays and productions of some kind all the way through my school years until I started college. Since that time, I found that I'd rather be behind the scenes...Promoting shows, promoting actors, doing reviews on television shows. Stuff like that. I could easily see myself being a publicist or an entertainment reporter of some sort.
What tends to make my heart ache is that nobody in my family really gives two hoots about television. I talk about it and by the second sentence in, I know they're just halfway listening and when I'm finished with my ramble, the conversation quickly moves on to other topics. There's very little feedback (if any) on what I said.
And I know the entertainment world is to many (my family and most of my friends included) not a respectable occupation like being a teacher, cop, doctor, etc. I know many people think it's just make believe and it's not molding minds or saving lives (although, speaking from personal experience, I know it HAS saved one life) so therefore, I know very few people take me seriously when I talk about it.
I overheard my Mom recently tell someone "Television and computer is all she has...." and it broke my heart. I DO spend a lot of time on Facebook and a lot of time watching T.V. but MOST of that time on FB is spent interacting with others...Seeing what's going on in their lives, finding out how I can pray for them, like that. And while I do admit, most of MY status updates on FB & twitter DO have to do with television, who else am I supposed to talk about it with? Nobody around me seems to care. At least there, I can get some type of conversation going!
September 20th is "Premiere Week." It's the week all of my favorite shows (and a lot of new ones) are back from summer hiatus! I'm really psyched about it, but because I know I'm the only one, I'm trying NOT to torture my family with details they could really care less about. It's hard, but thank God for Facebook, twitter, and this blog.
My sister had plans for September 23rd (the night of Grey's Anatomy's premiere) and asked if we could keep the kids. I was bummed, because I basically had planned a pizza night for me and Mom (who watches-maybe I should say tolerates-Grey's and Private Practice with me). And us keeping the kids meant Mom would hit the hay early with the kids in her bed. I love watching with Mom and this meant I was going to be watching alone. My sister informed us about a week ago that her plans had changed and she wouldn't need us after all. I was thrilled and the first thing out of my mouth was, "Yay Mom! This means we can watch the Grey's and Private Practice premiere's together!" My Mom's response, "Yeah, I guess so...." I haven't said anything to her about it since.
Would you pray for me? Pray that if this passion for television is something God wants me to pursue, that He would open doors for it. Or if it's not, that He would give me a new passion to pursue. I'm really discouraged right now so prayers for His peace and that the comfort of Jeremiah 29:11 would surround me would be great! I know that just because *I'M* shaken right now, HE is not. Thanks so much for praying!
1 comment:
i'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged, natalie!
and don't believe the lie that the entertainment world is not 'a respectable career'. if you are shining your light for Jesus (and I know you do, wherever you go), then it is most certainly an avenue that you can use to spread God's name and His love.
and I'm praying that God will put someone in your life with the same enthusiasm for the same shows you watch! I believe God cares about every little detail of our lives. :) (I'm VERY disconnected in that world as hulu and similar sites block us b/c we're in another country.)
love you and thank you (again) for your constant encouragement. every single comment from you makes me smile. :)
Post a Comment