Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My Ipod is Stuck!

Seriously, my ipod is on constant repeat of five songs...Here's the story:

I recently "discovered" this rock band called "Enation." Actually, I've known of the band for quite some time given that I have great admiration for the lead singer, Jonathan Jackson...I'd just never listened to any of the music before, because quite honestly, the "rock" part of it....Scared me. I'm not fond of music where basically all anybody does is scream as loud as they can into the mic for about three minutes and call it a song. And when I think of "rock" music, that has been my experience.
Photobucket
Well, I recently got up the courage to actually listen to a few tracks off their most recent album, and I can't stop listening to them!! I mean, I literally miss my ipod when I'm not around to listen to the songs....I LOVE it!!! And really....It's Christian rock. I don't know if they label themselves a Christian rock band (under itunes, they're simply labeled under the genre of "rock") but the lyrics are clear about Who they are singing for and Who they are singing to. And really, it shouldn't surprise me....Jonathan has always been very upfront about his faith, not only in interviews, but also in the way he lives his life, which is one reason why I like him so much, and so it shouldn't surprise me that his faith bleeds to clearly into the music.

It's got a soft kind of beat to it that allows you to actually understand the lyrics...In fact, I put my ipod on the other night and put the (then three) songs I had gotten from itunes on repeat and they actually were so soothing that I fell asleep! I woke up at 2:30 that morning to Jonathan still singing. I can tell you that this has actually made me change my perception on rock music...Because I'm tellin' ya...It's all I've listened to since Friday night...I had three songs and just bought two more today. I'm absolutely addicted to this band now! Here are the songs I recommend:

"Feel This"-soft and soothing. Stand out lyrics: "What if I told you your tears have never been ignored?"

"Permission to Dream"- Might become my personal anthem. The way he sings it, I believe it. It's a very liberating song. Stand out lyrics: "My love, when you speak to Me, don't you beg on the floor. Cause you have the right to stand with your eyes on the Throne." with honorable mentions to the line, "I don't want to hear you whisper, when I called you to scream..." Actually, I love every line to this song....Every time it ends, I have to say "Amen." You'd think this song was written for me, because I'd swear he's talking right to me...And I almost want to hold my hands up in surrender saying, okay, I got it. I believe it, or at least I believe it when he says it. Every word is spoken with that much conviction, but he's not screaming at me while singing. It's the song you are listening to right now if you are at my blog site. (if you are a subscriber, you'll have to actually GO to the site to hear it).

"Eyes of Grace" this is the song that usually sings me to sleep every night....So beautiful. And if I had to pick just one song from the album to listen to over and over again, it would be this one. Lots of piano and a soft sound. Stand out lyrics: "I know what I used to be, I know what I used to think, I know what I would be without Your love in me, I know the things I used to say, I know the things I used to do, I know what I would be without Your love in me. Well see me through the eyes of grace, see me through the cross of love, see me not for what I was before Your love in me."

"World in Flight" the title track of the album....Stand out lyrics: "I used to crawl on my knees, I used to beg, beg you please. I once was blind, but now I see. I once was chained, but now I'm free...."

"Everything is Possible" Just LOVE the message in this one and the piano and guitar....Just a great song. This is the song you want playing when the alarm goes off in the morning....It'll get the day started off on the right foot. Stand out lyrics: "from my knees I rise to dream, from the inside out I sing."

I can't say enough good stuff about this band or their music. I have to say I found them at the perfect time as these songs have really spoken to and calmed me lately. It's been a long time since I've been THIS hooked on music. My ipod probably thinks these are the only songs on there. All of the above songs are available on itunes and you can check out their official site and hear directly from the band members themselves and actually hear bits of "World in Flight" and "Everything is Possible" as they play in the background while Jonathan and his brother Richard talk about the music. Check out these guys....You won't be sorry!

So, just in case you're wondering what I've been listening to lately....There ya have it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The song that you have on here is really good. I will have to looke them up. Marlena