"Vanity is the first thing to go."
That was what Michael J. Fox said to Oprah when he was on her show earlier this week, talking about how Parkinson's Disease has changed his life. I was struck by that statement. He said you couldn't worry about how others perceived you, or what they thought...There were too many other things to take care of.
As someone who thinks often what is going through people's mind when they see me, I thought how wonderful it would be to not even worry about that anymore. Not to worry about what people were thinking when they stared a little too long, or to be embarrassed when I jump at the sound of a sneeze during church, not to feel like I have to prove to other people that just because I am physically disabled, does not mean I am mentally impaired. To just NOT WORRY about what others think! What freedom that would bring!
Michael deals with his Parkinson's Disease with such grace and optimism...I pray for just half of the grace with which he deals with things!
1 comment:
Thanks for commenting on my blog, Natalie! Happy Easter to you!
Post a Comment