Sally and I met in first grade. The first time I got to spend the night at someone's house, it was hers. She was my first best friend, the one I spent hours playing "Princess" with at every overnight stay from then on. the first person the person I called when Dennis (my first youth minister) left and I she was the only one who could understand me through my sobs. She was one of two friends I wanted there when I got baptized at my church, and she was one of my first visitors after every single surgery, even coming with my sister to visit me while I was still in the hospital and then stopping for another visit after I got home. We were in chior together, theater together, and our faith in Christ grew...together.
I was honored to have a part in her wedding as a member of her house party when she married the man of her dreams in December of 2004 and as I sat in the pew watching her pledge her love in her gorgeous white wedding dress, I thought of how fitting it was because the girl I had spent so much time pretending to be princesses with was TRULY a princess on that day!
We are not as close now as we were in the early years of our friendship. Life has taken us in different directions, to different interests, but she will always hold a part of my heart that no one else will because she was and always will be my first best friend. And I will always love her dearly.
And it is with tears in my eyes that I write that our Princess Party is now a party of THREE today as Sally and Wade welcomed Sophie Catherine into the world this morning!
Welcome to the world Princess Sophie! Can't wait to meet you!

No comments:
Post a Comment