You may recall several posts ago how I talked about how SAG negotiations had stalled and that AFTRA was trying to reach a deal for their contract. I said that if AFTRA reached a deal that it would be very hard for SAG to have much leverage or support for a strike as it is rumored was what they were getting ready to do.
AFTRA agreed on their contract early this morning. SAG went back into negotiations just a few hours later (they were already scheduled to resume talks today regardless of whether or not AFTRA had reached a deal yet, I think). And I haven't heard anything about how the first day back today went.
I can only speculate that without AFTRA backing them and having already reached a contact that SAG will have to cave on some issues and reach a deal as well. I have to be honest and say that when I logged on this morning to the news that AFTRA reached a deal I was relieved....Although, I hear they caved massively on some issues in order to do so. I was relieved because I knew as long as BOTH AFTRA and SAG DIDN'T reach a deal, the more possible a strike would become because each union would have the support of the other. I was worried when contract talks stalled with SAG and was hoping that this wasn't a set up for another strike. Now that AFTRA has reached a deal, I think SAG members know strike support just tanked and they'll be pushed to reach some sort of an agreement.
I feel bad that they'll have to cave to do so. If I could understand what they were fighting for then perhaps I might be more apt to encourage them (not that any of them care one bit what I think or even know I'm alive) to stick to their guns no matter what. I was a firm believer in the writers strike...Didn't like it, but understood their cause and would have been on the picket lines had I been near any of the studios. I just don't understand the SAG issues and I've read the statements issued but you have to know lawyer speak to understand them.
I just do NOT want another strike. We already suffered through one shortened T.V. season and I don't want to go through another. Not to mention the fact that HELLO!! Did you SEE the Grey's finale?!?!? DO NOT MAKE ME WAIT ANY LONGER THAN I'M ALREADY HAVING TO SO I CAN SEE MY COUPLE TOGETHER!!!!! Besides, I've already got count downs to the beginning of season five posted on both my facebook and myspace pages...Don't make me have to go re-calculate them!
I don't think ANYONE wants another strike which I think is part of the reason AFTRA might have caved like they did. Let's just cross our fingers and pray that clear heads and open minds are at the negotiations table on SAG's behalf right now and let's pray that a deal can be reached and another strike is avoided. I'll post when I hear more.
One other small note I have to mention...CONGRATULATIONS once again, Julie!! I have no idea if you'll read this but your news really made my day and I am so happy for you!! Send pictures girl!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment