Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Praying is a Problem

I'm frusturated.

I've blogged about this before when I blogged on myspace but I'm going to blog about it again because it's still happening....

I generally like to have my prayer time at night. The day is over, I know the things I need to specifically pray about so I lay in bed and start..."Dear Lord...." and it goes well until the next thing I know I'm waking up. Yep! I've fallen asleep praying.

And I tell ya, not even the words of Scott Crenshaw are comforting right now..."What better place to fall asleep than in the Arms of God." Yes, that is true and it is a WONDERFUL place to sleep but this is happening EVERY NIGHT! I know this is untrue but being human I often wonder if God is sitting there going, "Boy, she must not want me to work too badly because she's not dedicated enough to stay awake!"

I'm not saying that night is the ONLY time I pray, far from it, but for me that's the time when things are calmer and less distracting. And I can really focus on what I'm saying (apparently, I'm not THAT focussed).

To try and remedy this, I've tried moving my prayer time to the shower...but I get distracted by the water changing temps, or the shampoo not coming out of the bottle...Little stuff like that so prayer time is all over the place. I've tried starting my prayers before I get too sleepy...No luck. I fall asleep anyway. And forget about my prayers having any kind of orginization...I jump from one person to another back to that first person because I remembered something else. It's like watching a ball in a pin ball machine! I have prayer ADD or something!

I know that God already knows what I'm going to pray before I pray it and that He sees my efforts but it's frusturating for me because there is stuff I WANT and NEED to lift up.

Perhaps when something comes to my mind I need to stop and pray RIGHT THEN...That way when night falls, I can rest easier knowing that it WAS prayed about at some point during the day.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Taylor said...

It happens to me every night as well, so I am not the person to propose a solution! However, I did think about it this morning when I was at VBS. We share the story with the children about Mary and Martha...when Jesus comes over. Martha is so busy working wanting everything to be perfect for Jesus, but Mary just sits with him...despite the fact that there is so much to do. Jesus agrees that Mary has done right by taking time out to be with him...and things to do not have to be as perfect as Martha had envisioned. Granted, we were catering the story to 4 year olds, but it did make me think about my priorities...in carving time for Jesus where can be focused on him. I do not fall asleep when I am on the computer or watching a movie...I do not know, but it did make me think.

If you fix your problem, let me know!